POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Help w/ syntax on library functions in isosurfaces. : Re: Help w/ syntax on library functions in isosurfaces. Server Time
2 Sep 2024 10:15:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Help w/ syntax on library functions in isosurfaces.
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 14 Feb 2000 18:15:53
Message: <38a88ca9@news.povray.org>
David Wilkinson <dav### [at] cwcomnet> wrote...
> In testing this with MegaPov I found a bug has been added since
SuperPatch.
> The size of the rounded box is determined by the size of  contained_by !
> With no value for contained_by you get a rounded box of unit sides. But;
> contained_by { box {0,4}}
> makes the rounded box of sides 4!

Actually, this is not new to MegaPov.  Let me explain:

Isosurface intersection computation is _always_ bounded.  I don't know how
the intersection is performed, but I do know that it can only happen over a
finite volume using the current implementation(s).

Prior to MegaPov 0.4, this computational boundary was defined using
"bounded_by".  Unfortunately, this caused a conflict with the original
"bounded_by", which has a totally different meaning when applied to any
object other than an isosurface.  And to make things worse, depending on the
order in which you applied the "bounded_by" keyword and the other modifiers
(such as "translate"), you could make it either change the computational
container or change the ray-bound object (the way the original bounded_by
works).

Therefore, we had to change the syntax to remove this conflict.

-Nathan