POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Visibility pattern test - visibility.JPG (1/1) : Re: Visibility pattern test - visibility.JPG (1/1) Server Time
3 Oct 2024 13:21:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Visibility pattern test - visibility.JPG (1/1)
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 9 Feb 2000 02:40:55
Message: <38a11a07@news.povray.org>
"Chris Huff" <chr### [at] yahoocom> wrote in message

| It doesn't have anything to do with UV mapping, and I don't see how UV
| mapping could be applied to this problem, unless you mean by using an
| image_map or material_map to specify the areas with "patina".
|
| Are you thinking of a possible way to use this kind of thing to control
| UV mapping? So that the map is adjusted over the contours of the surface
| of the object?

I was using the term uv map loosely to describe what I thought might closely
resemble what your stuff was doing.  That is, following the surfaces of objects
and their normals.  Again I say I'm not knowledgeable enough about any of it I
was just trying to get the sense of what was going on and if there were any
potential of it being more pigment pattern-like than it appeared to be.
Instead of scattering points on a surface maybe spreading the texture on like a
second skin.  If that makes any sense.  It's of course impossible if there isn't
any way to follow the original object precisely and deform it from there I
suppose.

Nice try at explaining it, I got closer than ever at understanding you.

Bob