POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Volumetric Non-media clouds (320x240) : Re: Volumetric Non-media clouds (320x240) Server Time
2 Oct 2024 16:27:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Volumetric Non-media clouds (320x240)
From: SamuelT
Date: 11 Apr 2000 22:53:07
Message: <38F3E549.6A9B423B@aol.com>
Simen Kvaal wrote:

> Promising, no doubt! But what happens when the clouds cover the entire sky?
> Will the isosurface-render drastically slow down? (Of course it will, but
> how much?)

A lot. It should still be faster than media, though.

> One problem is that the clouds look a bit dense; I suppose it is because of
> this new "media type" is in principle absorbing, and that the pigment is
> simpy white. Adding trasmittance/filter will probably make lighter clouds,
> although it might be difficult to adjust the amount correctly. (I think.)
>
> Simen.

I think if transparency were added to the clouds, they might render even
slower.

This technique is closer to scattering media, I think.

--
Samuel Benge

E-Mail: STB### [at] aolcom

Visit the still unfinished isosurface tutorial: http://members.aol.com/stbenge