POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Shaders? : Re: Shaders? Server Time
2 Sep 2024 08:16:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Shaders?
From: Vahur Krouverk
Date: 9 Apr 2000 11:08:13
Message: <38F09D2E.7A8EF907@aetec.ee>
daishi wrote:

> ooh, renderman shaders in pov *drool*
>
> not sure if it'd be possible, but I'd like displacement shaders...

I've thought about this too, but I'm not sure, whether it is easy to
implement. AFAIK, RM tesselates surfaces into micro-polygons (each 1
pixel in size), then performs displacement (and normal calculation) and
shading. I don't know, whether (and how) it would be possible without
tesselation.

> and having
> the ability to anti-alias a specific shader would be oh so nice...but if
> their is some technical limitation that I am not understanding no biggie

This requires derivative information, and as I wrote, it is under
consideration. I hope to release first test version soon and most likely
it will be without derivative support, hopefully POV-Ray antialiasing
compensates it a little bit.