POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Cop Bot (18Kbu) : Re: Cop Bot (18Kbu) Server Time
3 Oct 2024 00:31:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cop Bot (18Kbu)
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Date: 5 Apr 2000 18:48:46
Message: <38EBC19B.1BD26A1D@online.no>
Darcy Johnston wrote:

> Tor Olav Kristensen <tto### [at] onlineno> wrote in message
> news:38E### [at] onlineno...
> > Mark Wagner wrote:
> > > Just remember to never, under any circumstances, split an infinitive.
> > > A preposition is something you should not end a sentence with.
> > >
> > > and so on...
> > >
> > > Mark
> >
> > I didn't get this one before Peter Popov commented.
> >
> > But how would one in english say the last rule in a way that
> > obeys the rule?
>
> Never end a sentence with in a preposition.
> OR
> A preposition should never end a sentence.
> OR
> A preposition is something with which you should not finish a sentence.
>
> Darcy

The last of your sentences is closest to the original and looks best.
(But my tongue stumbles when I try to say it!)

But would a common native speaker of english (can I say that?)
come up with such a sentence without thinking twice?

Tor Olav

mailto:tor### [at] hotmailcom
http://www.crosswinds.net/~tok/tokrays.html