POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : photon mapping problem : photon mapping problem Server Time
2 Sep 2024 08:15:20 EDT (-0400)
  photon mapping problem
From: daishi
Date: 4 Apr 2000 21:08:44
Message: <38EA9065.19BFC771@x-press.net>
I can't seem to get photon mapping to work properly (here is the address
for what the image looks like rendered in rhino,
http://daishi.50megs.com/caustic_test.html )

whenever it builds the photon map it either

a) doesn't build it (if I specifiy the number of photons, or use
autostep 0 )
or
b) never stops building the map, it gets to about 78500 photons hit the
object and then it just continues to shoot photons, but the number of
photons that actully strike the object never goes up and it just keeps
shooting photons at it until it runs out of memory (it tried to
allocated 327mb for the photon map)

the only thing I can think of is maybe the object is to complicated to
work with pov-ray's photon mapping (I only have 128mb of ram) or photon
mapping doesn't work properly with triange mesh's (which is what rhino
exports its files as)

the pov-ray file is attached below
any help is mucho appreciated

note: I didn't attach the mesh files for the object since its 18mb

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'caustics_test.pov.txt' (3 KB)