POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Cop Bot (18Kbu) : Re: Cop Bot (18Kbu) Server Time
3 Oct 2024 02:22:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cop Bot (18Kbu)
From: Lewis
Date: 3 Apr 2000 14:57:22
Message: <38E8E8F5.3C86E056@netvision.net.il>
You people are spoiled.

In Israel, the schooling system is so different that the only people
home-schooling are the ones with really, really bad grades and usually
more than just that for problems.

We have "final exams" on our last three years of school, which combined
with a year average form the grading system (plus a physchometric exam)
by which the universities (no colleges, really) choose who to accept.
The point is, we work very hard in our last few years in school
(espcially the last two) and even if you're is rather smart, it's still
a whole damn lot of work. Of course the real geniuses always have a good
time, but you gotta be REALLY smart for that. I'm talking about kids who
go to university when they're 15 to 17 years old.

I was in LA for 2 years, during my sixth and seventh grades; My
impression is that school in America, by experience, is MUCH easier!
Everything is less hard, less work, less everything. I think this has to
do with the level - in Israel the level is much higher, at least in
certain subjects. For example, part of our "final test" in Math (in the
highest of the three levels you can chooes, which is what I did)
includes Vectors, Complex numbers, integral + differencial mathematics,
and more stuff. In the US, and europe too as far as I know, you don't do
this until late college. It's cool, yeah, but demands a lot of work when
you do it at 17. About 2 hours a day is the max you can squeeze out for
rendering most years, but at the end of each years I happens that you
never see you computer for a whole week. This is for about 3 months.

Anyway, my particular school is (was, I graduated last year) a rather
new school (mine was the third class) and like all new schools founded
as an alternative to rotten old schools, the teachers young, nice,
helpful, idealistic, etc. and although it's a lot of hard work, it's a
pleasent place to study.

That's all for my education speech for now, I think I'll go raytrace.