POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Bumpy CSG-sphere (72.3kB) : Re: Bumpy CSG-sphere (72.3kB) Server Time
2 Oct 2024 20:24:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bumpy CSG-sphere (72.3kB)
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Date: 2 Apr 2000 06:01:46
Message: <38E71A5F.9D1E6675@hotmail.com>
Steve wrote:

> Looks real good,

Thank you!

> I'd guess you used a sphere, a cone and
> took a torus away from it and then took the resulting
> object away from the large sphere.

Yes, you got the general idea.

And that's the way I would prefer to do it
(making only one last cut from the sphere),
but I haven't figured out the detailed CSG
for that yet! :)

(For me it seemed a bit complicated, because
the top of the cone has to be tangential to
the sphere. An because of that I was afraid
that the cone would leave some tiny leftovers
near the edges of the bump.)

I posted my code to the povray.text.scene-files
news group.

(My bumps are placed in the middle of the
pentagons and hexagons of a Buckminsterfullerene.
And because I was to lazy to calculate the
positions of the bumps and then paste them into
the source code, you will also find the
co-ordinates for a whole such "Buckyball" in
there.)

Tor Olav

--
mailto:tor### [at] hotmailcom