POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : A Proposal for XML POV : Re: A Proposal for XML POV Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:32:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A Proposal for XML POV
From: pk
Date: 30 Mar 2000 21:37:12
Message: <38E40FFE.FEFCE504@videotron.ca>
Foreword: i'm not sure that the thread still serves something, but what
tf!!
Nigel Stewart wrote:

> A project to use XML to allow portable exchange of
> OpenGL oriented graphical information.
>
> -----------------
>
> XGL File Format Specification
> http://www.xglspec.org/
[snip]
What do you actually propose???
that instead of declaring
sphere{
...}

we do:
<primitive
 <sphere
  Location="12,34,56"
  <Texture
   <checkered color1=1,.5,1 color2=1,.6,.4>
   <transformation>
    <rotate 10,0,0>
   </tranformation>

(which is pretty structured, compared to what i have seen in web
pages)??
IMHO, it sure is simpler to make a quick parser for it(though , but you
lose much of the possibilities(actually, it becomes more of a hassle)
that using curly brackets to denote which operation is for what part of
the declaration).
BTW, i find that POV's syntax is easier to read(and to parse, if you
take the good way, probably) than XML, BC it was invented to make
human's coders life easier...
BUT, if we didn't have already anything on the table, XML would be a
not-so-bad idea... but how the f*** would u parse the example
above??(Definition language weren't made to support imbricked
things/tags that work only in another tag(see transformation: depending
of its position, it doesn't have the same meaning), imho)
(And, btw, OPenGL is NOT supposed to be human editable...)

LOL, i've got more text in parenthesis than not ;-)
--
AKA paul_virak_khuong at yahoo.com, pkhuong at deja.com, pkhuong at
crosswinds.net and pkhuong at technologist.com(list not complete)...