POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : I need help with triscan! : Re: I need help with triscan! Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:18:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I need help with triscan!
From: Charles Fusner
Date: 27 Mar 2000 18:20:29
Message: <38DFEB76.C39CFC93@enter.net>
ryan constantine wrote:

> Almost all objects are solids, but i do have about six bezier patch cylinders
> and one moray plugin dome, which is smooth and small.  Are these what you're
> talking about?  If so, how do i make those a union?  Is all i do change the
> 'dome' to 'union'?  would it help if you could see the code of the pov file?
> It's "only" about 4000+ lines long so far.  If i can't easily work this out,
> i'll just forget about making the distributed files (when i'm done) easily
> read and just make a good readme file so people can use this model.  That
> might be best anyway.

Well, I've checked it with bezier patches, and they don't cause a
crash, but I have to admit I haven't tried the dome plugin yet. (I
wanted to research it more before I wrote this, but my ISP is
having intermittant service outages and I don't even know when I'll
be able to send this) If the plugin does what it does with
triangle meshes (which is possible), that may be causing the problem.
Try a single dome object all by itself, and see if that still
crashes. If so, what you're going to have to do is find whatever
include file the dome object is exported to, and open it in the POV
editor. It should contain references to the mesh {... } primitive
By replacing all occurences of the word "mesh" with "union" you'll
get exactly the same object geometry, only without the memory
advantages of a mesh object. HOWEVER, it should triscan normally.
You can always replace the unions with meshes again when you've
got the scan you needed.

Charles