POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : A Proposal for XML POV : Re: A Proposal for XML POV Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:36:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A Proposal for XML POV
From: Nigel Stewart
Date: 25 Mar 2000 07:51:24
Message: <38DCB5E7.E1F54814@nigels.com>
> >         <povscript version="3.1">
> >         // Insert your POV script here
> >         </povscript>
>
> Then what, specificly, is the XML parser going to do with the stuff
> between the <povscript>...</povscript> tags?
>
> ignoring part of the scene isn't a valid option.

Yes it is.

> Trouble is, when the scene loads, it's missing 1500
> objects because the XML parser had no plan for interpreting the
> code in the <povscript> tags.

True, you can't expect to use XML technology to handle non
XML encoding.

>  The same is true with 3rd party
> extensions to the language that were specially marked so the
> parser would ignore them if it didn't recognize them.

True, but it still better than choking on 3rd party
extensions.  In fact it is probably all that is possible.

> In essence what I'm saying is: In order to model, tesselate,
> convert, run lparser mutations, do quick render previews, or
> anything else useful, the code between the <povscript> tags
> must be read and understood by the app, or the result will
> be a defective import that degrades the appearace of the scene
> in some way.

No.  This is merely an option to keep POV purists happy.
Nothing is "taken away" by using XML.  Of course you don't
get the advantages of pure XML by mixing it with POV script.
People who want XML functionality have the choice of
avoiding POV script, and vice versa.  Mainly, I'd promote
the ability to include old scenes and macro files.

3rd party tools would have to preserve, but igore extensions
and POV script - this is in fact a desirable property, not
a flaw.

The problems you describe here are a good example of why
you probably shouldn't use this feature unless you really
want to, and you know why you're doing it.  Whether 3rd
party tools can handle POV script is beyond the scope of
an XML proposal.

To summarise - the problem identified is valid, but I
disagree with your conclusions.  I do not think these
features/issues/problems "degrade" the usefulness of
XML at all.

--
Nigel Stewart (nig### [at] nigelscom)
Research Student, Software Developer