POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Arrakis, desert planet (68.1kb bu) : Re: Arrakis, desert planet (68.1kb bu) Server Time
3 Oct 2024 04:56:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Arrakis, desert planet (68.1kb bu)
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 22 Mar 2000 21:52:15
Message: <38D986B2.8F7ABBD8@attglobal.net>
Ken wrote:

> Chris Huff wrote:
>
> > I read one of the Dune books, and apparently, almost all of the land of
> > Arrakis was just sand with no rock structures. There was a huge "wall"
> > of rock, I think it was artificial(maybe that is what happened to the
> > rock formations, they were scavenged for construction material. I don't
> > remember very well, though).

As far as I can remember, the rock formation was natural.  They built
the city there to protect it from the worms.

> In Dune the movie they clearly showed isolated outcrops of rock scattered
> about the planet but yes everywhere else the planet was fine grained sand
> dunes.

Except in the South.  There are rumours of oases and green rolling
hills, but they are only rumours as the Guild's Sattelites are forbidden
from flying over this area.

--
Francois Labreque | The surest sign of the existence of extra-
     flabreq      | terrestrial intelligence is that they never