POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : pov to moray conversions: possible? : Re: pov to moray conversions: possible? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:21:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: pov to moray conversions: possible?
From: Ken
Date: 16 Mar 2000 21:53:17
Message: <38D19DEF.2CDF19FE@pacbell.net>
Alex Magidow wrote:

> Ken wrote:

> > To parse a .pov or .inc file would require a scene file parser as powerful
> > as the one that POV-Ray itself uses.
>
> Not to volunteer or anything(or that I'd be qualified to do such a thing
> anyway), but shouldn't a POV-Ray converter just be based off of POV-Ray's
> code, which, since it is open source, could be used for such a purpose(or is
> there something against that in the license?). So wouldn't the work just be in
> writing the export module with the data already loaded by POV's parser?

> > To write such a parser just for
> > the benefit of importing .pov files would require an enourmous amount
> > of work that no one, so far, is interested in doing.
>
> But it would mean being able to convert .pov files to damn near anything
> else(or as many things as you care to write it for), which seems to be a
> frequently requested ability. For example, pov2rib, or
> pov2anotherfileformatthateasilysupportsmathmaticalprimitiveswithouttesselation?

There has been a lot of talk lately about adding tessellation support to
POV-Ray ( for displacement mapping and related features) which would help
facilitate adding export capabilities to the program. Once the majority
of POV-Ray's primitives can be represented internaly then converting it
to an exportable 3D file format would be much easier.

There has been no official comment about this from the POV-Team and should
be considered idle chatter for now.