POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Problem #3 In OpenVMS Port Of MegaPOV-Ray: Divide-by-zero error : Problem #3 In OpenVMS Port Of MegaPOV-Ray: Divide-by-zero error Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:15:31 EDT (-0400)
  Problem #3 In OpenVMS Port Of MegaPOV-Ray: Divide-by-zero error
From: Robert Alan Byer
Date: 12 Mar 2000 13:13:44
Message: <38CB9807.4C5C0FD3@mail.ourservers.net>
Thanks for the help I've gotten so far with monor code problems.

Now for #3.

I have gotten everything to coimpile just fine and everything in the
MegaPOV-Ray "DEMO" ZIP file from the "Patched POV-Ray" site works EXCEPT
"radiosity" (which was a problem in the OpenVMS port before, not worried
now) and "photons".

When I try an "demo" image with "photons", I get a "high performance
arithmetic" error, actually a "invalid floating point operation".
Normally that's all I got, but once it did tell me that it was a
"divide-by-zero" error.

Now, after loading the debugger, I was able to track it down to
"LIGHTING.C" function "Determine_Apparent_Colour" the following lines.

     Colour[RED]   += Weight_List[i] * C1[RED];
      Colour[GREEN] += Weight_List[i] * C1[GREEN];
      Colour[BLUE]  += Weight_List[i] * C1[BLUE];
    /* NK phmap */
    }
    /* NK ---- */

    /* Use transmittance value for alpha channel support. [DB] */

/*
    Colour[TRANSM]  += Weight_List[i] * C1[TRANSM];
*/
    Colour[TRANSM] *= C1[TRANSM];

It does maby one or two passes through this and then crashes out.

Any thoughts here as I'm not up on what all the POV or MegaPOV code does
so I'm going to need pointers on potential debugging here.

Thanks.

--

 | Robert Alan Byer         | "I don't want to take over the world,  |