POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Re: Winamp skin, TubeAmp (80k) : Re: Winamp skin, TubeAmp (80k) Server Time
3 Oct 2024 00:30:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Winamp skin, TubeAmp (80k)
From: Jon A  Cruz
Date: 10 Mar 2000 23:57:24
Message: <38C9D38A.65366D85@geocities.com>
Bill DeWitt wrote:

> "Johannes Hubert" <jht### [at] mailacom> wrote :
> >
> > If WinAmp didn't give my WinNT BSODs
> >

>     Hmm, if WinAmp, perhaps the most widely used app for Windows in the last
> few years, gives you BSODs, you have failed to install Windows properly.

No.

Might be that he has just the wrong version of of something for the wrong
ServicePack. Or a different motherboard. Or a different video card. Or an SMP
machine. Or a different audio card. Or different built-in hardware. Or a
different version of DirectX. Or some unexpected stuff in his TEMP directory.
Or some unexpected stuff in his registry...

Just look at the problems Chris Cason had with Creative Labs. If The largest
sound-card manufacturer (who even gets to tell MS how to do some things) can't
even get their drivers right, why do you assume any problems can't be due to
something other than user error?

I myself had a system that would choke on hard video output. MPEG playing, for
example. Immediate death, with not even a BSOD. Just insta-freeze.

Oh, plus MS VJ++ 1.1 had horrible problems with SMP machines. Among other
things, as soon as you'd save some file that was over a certain size....
BOOM!!!
Hmmm. MS's KB search is so bad, I can't find that one off hand. But I did find
Article ID: Q194901 "BUG: Visual J++ 6.0 May Crash When Opening a Large Java
File". Their answer? "It's a bug. Don't make large files".

--
"My new computer's got the clocks, it rocks
But it was obsolete before I opened the box" - W.A.Y.