POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Animation plugin questions : Re: Animation plugin questions Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:17:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Animation plugin questions
From: Alexander Enzmann
Date: 10 Mar 2000 07:46:12
Message: <38C8EE9C.B19A5D4B@mitre.org>
Nieminen Juha wrote:

> Alexander Enzmann <xan### [at] mitreorg> wrote:
> :> -Does scanline rendering support some kind of texturing?
>
> : Flat (single color/shade for entire triangle), Gouraud (each vertex
> : shaded, colors inbetween interpolated), and Phong (every visible pixel
> : shaded/colored).  Pick one.
>
>   Those are shading methods, not texturing methods.
>   Texturing is when you apply a bitmap image to a surface (no matter if the
> surface is shaded or not).

I think you will find some ambiguity on this matter.  RenderMan uses the
term shading to mean evaluation of color at a point (to include the
lighting calculations).  I am using this sort of general term.

What you are refering to is often stated as, "texture mapping".
Applying a bitmap to a surface can be done in many ways.  Most often it
is for making color.  With many rendering packages, bitmaps are also
used to control specularity, reflectivity, transparency, ...

I made the assumption that the original poster was interested in what
kinds of quality were available from scanline.  Many scanline renderers
evaluate lighting at vertices and interpolate color [possibly using a
texture map] across the triangle.  The plugin renderer is capable of
doing that, as well as per-pixel shading.

Xander