POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : Animation plugin questions : Re: Animation plugin questions Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:17:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Animation plugin questions
From: Alexander Enzmann
Date: 10 Mar 2000 07:40:23
Message: <38C8ED3F.C9F6D8CE@mitre.org>
Mike Weber wrote:

> Xander,
>
> I think your e-mail link on the Moray Plug-in page is old - its pointing to
> are### [at] hotbotcom

No - that's actually the right place.  I don't want all messages about
the plugin to come to me at work.

> > P.S. Keep the suggestions coming.  They might not get done instantly,
> > but I'm listening.
>
> So, you are open to suggestions??

Absolutely.

> How about adding a constant to be applied to an object for every frame?

I've actually been thinking in a more general fashion.  Part of what is
necessary in the timeline tools is the ability to attach what MAX calls
an "f-curve" to things.  You build a function and attach it to some
animatable property (translation, rotation, color, ...).

A thought I've had is that it would be really nice to have some sort of
external call available when evaluating things.  Some sort of way to say
that the translation is connected to a DLL [or even better, Java class]
that gives back values over time.

> Your plug-in is a great tool.  Unfortunately we can't combine some of what
> POV anim can do with the plug-in.  What I had in mind is if someone was to
> do an animation of a vehicle and you wanted to rotate the wheels - the
> constant can then be used to do the work for us - rotate the tire 5 degrees
> for each frame.

Yup.  At the moment the anim generator is just the basics [and it sure
took a lot of time just to get there].  When I have time I add things
on...

> And how about a random noise generator to be applied to an object for each
> frame?  With limits entered by the user?

See above.  With a flexible enough system for attaching functions to
attributes, that could be accomodated.

Xander