POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : GIF animations : Re: GIF animations Server Time
3 Oct 2024 00:30:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: GIF animations
From: Matt Giwer
Date: 8 Mar 2000 22:43:00
Message: <38C71DDC.404FBB48@ij.net>
Scott Reid wrote:

>   I just tried my first animation with POVray, creating a GIF
> animation.  When I used the result as Wallpaper on my PIII it couldn't
> handle it properly, although it looked fine in Paint Shop Pro. Is there
> a way to get smooth, clear animation of a reasonable size and complexity
> using the GIF format? Should I be using a different format? Why did it
> work well in PSP, but not on my Desktop?
>   BTW, I'd like to thank whoever it was that posted the code for the
> revolving camera, but I forget who it was.  :)  I learned about a number
> of things through playing with that scene...

	First, why not go into some more detail as to what you did and
perhaps upload the result to binaries.animation.

	But if it is a big as I suspect your problem is with Windows.
Everything you are doing gets a time slice. Today good software
drops out if it needs none.

	There are generically two types of OSs, interrupt driven and
polled. Windows in polled. So even if you are doing nothing all
those tasks listed when you type ctrl-alt-delete from windows are
still being asked if they need cycles and several of them will
not irregularly. Only one of those processes is running your
wallpaper.

	So there is no way I can see to get smooth out of wallpaper.
Even an irrational system like Windows is going to put the
wallpaper very low on the priority list as "it rarely needs
changing." If animated desktops every become a major interest
that will certainly change.