POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : REQ: Improved media efficiency : Re: Improved media efficiency Server Time
2 Sep 2024 08:18:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Improved media efficiency
From: Michael Andrews
Date: 7 Mar 2000 12:12:37
Message: <38C538FF.EE8B846C@reading.ac.uk>
Peter Popov wrote:
[snip]
> Take a spherical density. Why test 30 samples against it if the ray
> doesn't pass through its bounding volume at all? Intersect the ray
> with the bounding object of the density, and if and only if there are
> intersections (they will be exactly two) go on with shooting the
> samples. The two intersection points will actually be samples of
> density 0 so they can be cached and used in the calculations so no
> redundant work will be done.
>
> I think this will speed up rendering for any value of samples/pixel
> greater than 2.
>
> Peter Popov
> pet### [at] usanet
> ICQ: 15002700

I think this would _really_ foul up some of my cloud techniques where I
use

	density { spherical colour_map {[0 rgb 1][cloudBase rgb 0]} }
or
	density { spherical frequency -1 colour_map { ... } }

and similar constructs.

Does nobody else use blend maps in density?

Well, just my thoughts ...
	Mike Andrews.