POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Is it possible to speed the blobs up in MegaPov? : Re: Is it possible to speed the blobs up in MegaPov? Server Time
2 Sep 2024 08:15:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is it possible to speed the blobs up in MegaPov?
From: Ken
Date: 6 Mar 2000 10:51:31
Message: <38C3D398.D5A6FC42@pacbell.net>
Thomas Willhalm wrote:

> Nieminen Juha <war### [at] sarakerttunencstutfi> writes:
> >
> >   Btw: Would tesselation of the blob speed up the rendering? Is rendering
> > a mesh faster than a blob?
>
> Why keep people wanting to tessellate everything? I like the fact that
> povray has clean and smooth primitives. They don't need a lot of
> memory and are nice from a mathematical point of view.

No one is arguing that POV-Ray should tesselate every object by default.
In fact I know I would never suggest such a thing. But there are certain
features that could be added if POV-Ray could be set to tesselate objects.

Some features that would benefit from this would be -

1. The ability to export .pov objects and scenes to other 3D file formats

2. Surface subdivision - currently only possible with meshes and only
   can be done through use of memory and process intensive operations.

3. Displacement mapping - more accurate surface representations than are
   currently possible with surface normal alone.

And this is just a sampling of the things you can do with tesselated
POV-Ray primitaves.