POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : QUESTION: MegaPOV Code Questions/Problems (LONG) : Re: QUESTION: MegaPOV Code Questions/Problems (LONG) Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:17:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: QUESTION: MegaPOV Code Questions/Problems (LONG)
From: Robert Alan Byer
Date: 6 Mar 2000 12:24:57
Message: <38C3A38D.4D553EF2@mail.ourservers.net>

> > From my limited knowledge of the code I can say that they can be static.
> > More precisely, I have compiled the megapatch for Sun Solaris and I've
> > had the same warnings. So, I've changed the not-quite-so-static
> > functions to static functions and it worked fine for me.
> > Despite this fact I would like to know too, why they are considered
> > not-quite-so-static.
>
> When merging all these various patches from various authors together, I
> (actually, we), didn't have enough time to really look things over.  Those
> functions were in the 'static' section, but for some reason somebody had
> taken away the 'static' keyword.  I assumed that they were used elsewhere
> (in the function parsing code, most likely).  Because the comment still said
> "Static functions" even though they weren't static, I changed the comment.
> It was kind of a joke to myself at the time, but it reflected the fact that
> maybe they were static or maybe they were not... depending on the
> perprocessor defines.
>
> -Nathan

So, then answer to the "million-dollar-question" is that all of those
functions should be static and the section of the code in "tokenize.c"
and "f_expr.c" where they are defined as not being static should be
removed so the code can be cleaned up a bit.

Correct?

--

 | Robert Alan Byer         | "I don't want to take over the world,  |