POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : MegaPov speed/persistent variables : MegaPov speed/persistent variables Server Time
2 Sep 2024 10:18:54 EDT (-0400)
  MegaPov speed/persistent variables
From: Mikael Carneholm
Date: 4 Mar 2000 18:01:51
Message: <38C195DA.98D0342B@ida.utb.hb.se>
I have found something _really_ strange with MegaPov 0.4:

I made a test scene that uses two large mesh objects (or, more
precisely: bicubic_patch objects exported from sPatch). These two
objects take long time to parse, and thus would be very effective to
#declare at the start of an animation to eliminate the need to parse the
files containing the objects at subsequent frames.

When using labels & persistent variables, MegaPov renders 11(!)  times
slower - here are the render time stats when not using persistent
variables:

Time For Trace/Frame:    0 hours  0 minutes   6.5 seconds (6 seconds)

...and here the render time stats when using persistent variables:

Time For Trace/Frame:    0 hours  1 minutes   9.0 seconds (69 seconds)

I'm not kidding here - it is _that_ much slower. My only question is:
why? (Note: I'm new to MegaPov - so please forgive me if this is a well
known bug/feature)

Mikael Carneholm
Dep. of Computer Science and Business Administration

Personal homepage:
http://www.studenter.hb.se/~arch
E-mail:
sa9### [at] idautbhbse