POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Great images.... but....why.... : Re: Great images.... but....why.... Server Time
3 Oct 2024 07:09:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Great images.... but....why....
From: Kari Kivisalo
Date: 29 Feb 2000 18:20:38
Message: <38BC53E1.454EB78@kivisalo.net>
Fabien Mosen wrote:

> 4-5 years ago, typical screens had a gamma of around 2.3,
> but now it seems that 2.8 or higher is pretty common...

Noticed here too (mine is 2.5).

> Tuning brightness and contrast on
> the monitor is'nt a good solution, as it shifts everything...

Brightness affects gamma because it shifts the black level.

That test image is designed for brightness and contrast only.
The brightness adjustment sets the black level so that all
levels are visible. If a monitor cannot display all the low levels
then there is obviously something wrong with it. This has nothing
to do with monitor gamma. Contrast is adjusted to get full white
and is dependend on ambient light level. Gamma affects things in
between.

> When explained right, gamma is easy to understand and set.

Yes. Find monitor gamma with http://www.povray.org/binaries/gamma.gif.
Put gamma/desired_gamma to the adapters gamma box. Adjust brightness
so that black isn't visible. Adjust contrast to get full white.

Now, if we get all the readers to set their monitors to some fixed
gamma then there wouldn't be threads like this :)

Kari Kivisalo                                          www.kivisalo.net