POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Great images.... but....why.... : Re: Great images.... but....why.... Server Time
3 Oct 2024 00:30:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Great images.... but....why....
From: Fabien Mosen
Date: 29 Feb 2000 16:22:59
Message: <38BC383A.FCF67BD8@skynet.be>
Kari Kivisalo wrote:

> Then your monitor needs some service adjustments or your display
> adapter has been misconfigured (gamma,brightness,contrast etc.).
> If it's none of the above I recommend Sony Trinitron monitors :)

From my - modest - experience, it seems that commonground PC
monitors tend to have increasing gamma from year to year !
4-5 years ago, typical screens had a gamma of around 2.3,
but now it seems that 2.8 or higher is pretty common...
maybe it has something to do with the size increase ?
don't know.

I suspect many people doesn't know that their graphic card has
some gamma setting feature.  Tuning brightness and contrast on
the monitor is'nt a good solution, as it shifts everything...
When explained right, gamma is easy to understand and set.

Personally, I usually set my gamma to around 2.1-2.2 (while
the monitor is naturally around 2.8), which allows me to view
almost everything fine.

Fabien.