POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : The Aviary : Re: The Aviary Server Time
3 Oct 2024 08:20:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The Aviary
From: David Fontaine
Date: 28 Feb 2000 22:35:19
Message: <38BB3DCC.A4D179E0@faricy.net>
Josh English wrote:

> I agree that not all of the people who post and respond have formal art training,
but we respond
> in more than terms of the medium. Sure, we say "That media should be darker" because
we know what
> it is because we know (or at least can guess) how certain things were done. We
comment on levels
> of detail and realism (or surrealism). Actually, it seems that for more complete
scenes we do
> comment on it from artistic points of view.
> Now the models that H.E. Day and Jay Raney (to name to two that immediately pop to
mind) post
> aren't really artistic images. They're models and we comment on them from that
respect and we
> leave the art out because it hasn't entered the picture yet (pardon the pun)

I agree that some of us do respond artistically. But David (the *other* David) said
it's "hard to
criticize something so good." Good modelling, good texturing, good camera work,
whatever, does not
neccessarily make it good art to everyone who views it. Peter just right out called
any criticizism
"idiotic". Now obviously any CG expert can come along and say "Great work!", because
it is, but leave
people to their own artistic interpretations.

--
 | \     |_                 <dav### [at] faricynet> <ICQ 55354965>
 |_/avid |ontaine               http://www.faricy.net/~davidf/

"Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come" -Beatles