POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : The math of circular truetype fonts : Re: The math of circular truetype fonts Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:15:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The math of circular truetype fonts
From: Jon A  Cruz
Date: 23 Feb 2000 19:42:28
Message: <38B47FCC.29CFA12E@geocities.com>
Ron Parker wrote:

> On 23 Feb 2000 04:16:07 -0500, Nieminen Juha wrote:
> >Jon A. Cruz <jon### [at] geocitiescom> wrote:
> >: And another issue (which I think was mentioned) is that without some patch,
> >: the macro would not have enough information on the characters in a string
> >: to place them correctly.
> >
> >  Wouldn't the min_extent and max_extent functions in megapov help?
>
> Not entirely.  Jon is going back to the kerning and character spacing issues
> that JR raised.  There might also be some issues with descenders; that's
> something I haven't investigated fully.

Yes, kerning is one issue. And the baseline is a more obvious one.

This documentation on the Java font metrics class can be used to quickly see some
of the issues.

http://java.sun.com/products/jdk/1.1/docs/api/java.awt.FontMetrics.html#_top_

Just imagine trying to line up "jal_^T" vertically using the extent functions.

--
"My new computer's got the clocks, it rocks
But it was obsolete before I opened the box" - W.A.Y.