POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Newcomer with little image! : Re: Newcomer with little image! Server Time
3 Oct 2024 10:19:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Newcomer with little image!
From: Brendan Hurley
Date: 23 Feb 2000 18:48:27
Message: <38B471F4.F8EE42D3@saber.net>
Dear Folks,

John Hanley wrote:

> I"m John and I'm very new to this whole POV thing.  Here is a little
> thing I did.  Please be merciful with your criticisms.

This is a great start, John.  You've passed your POV Rite of Passage with this
cool interpertation of the classic sphere-and-checkered-floor.  If you want to
hone your skill try this suggestion:
make a simple scene using that red and gold wall texture is some subtler way.
That texture seems to a favorite with new users; I recall using it on walls in
my early scenes.  Even then I could tell that it was too loud and busy for use
on big objects.  Experiment with scaling it down to look good on a 3x4 test
slab;
play with the surface normals; try adding a second, translucent texture.

Welcome to the community.  Write to these groups freey.  Read the news groups
FAQs.

Render Long and Prosper!
                                       Brendan

--