POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Fresh Donuts!!! (~46kau) : Book inflation (was: Fresh Donuts!!!) Server Time
3 Oct 2024 15:10:00 EDT (-0400)
  Book inflation (was: Fresh Donuts!!!)
From: David Fontaine
Date: 15 Feb 2000 18:15:08
Message: <38A9DD91.621D53C6@faricy.net>
Ron Parker wrote:

> You missed my point.  HHGTG is COPYRIGHTED WORK.  No matter whether you download
> a text file of it or an MP3 of it, you're breaking the law.  Go buy the book;
> surely even the least wealthy person reading this news server can afford five
> bucks for a paperback.  If you can't, go borrow it from your public library.

It's a lot more than five bucks for a friggin' paperback around here! But I agree
most people can still easily afford it.
And the problem with books is you don't realize they're crap until after you pay the
$15 (yes, $15) and actually read it and by then you've wasted irreplaceable time and
money. I'm not saying al books are bad, some are definitely good (like HHGTG). Then
there's the music industry... usually only one or two songs on a CD are well known
and you can almost never listen before you buy. I'm not saying anything about
myself, but lots of people use illegal mp3s as a "listen before you buy" thing.

--
 | \     |_                 <dav### [at] faricynet> <ICQ 55354965>
 |_/avid |ontaine               http://www.faricy.net/~davidf/

"Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come" -Beatles