POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : X-server : Re: X-server Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:23:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: X-server
From: Jon A  Cruz
Date: 12 Feb 2000 12:45:33
Message: <38A59D8F.117B14F0@geocities.com>
Peter Popov wrote:

> Can anyone please explain to me how to set up a remote X server? I
> have a X server on my Windows machine and I want to run some X apps
> from my blind Linux box. Any idea what I should do? If anyone cares to
> help, what information will you need? TIA.

Well, if your Windows machine is named "flakeybox", then you'd telnet to
your remote box and do the following (assuming you're using the bash
shell):

export DISPLAY=flakeybox:0.0
x-povray foo.ini +D +SP128

Of course, the Windows X-server has to be set to accept connections from
your remote box. Once you have authorization on the X-server and then set
DISPLAY on the remote box (via export or setenv or some such call), then
the rest is easy. Oh, you might also do this one:

xterm &

--
"My new computer's got the clocks, it rocks
But it was obsolete before I opened the box" - W.A.Y.