POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : for Anthony Benett (email wouldn't go through) : for Anthony Benett (email wouldn't go through) Server Time
2 Sep 2024 10:13:25 EDT (-0400)
  for Anthony Benett (email wouldn't go through)
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 7 Feb 2000 11:37:09
Message: <389ef4b5@news.povray.org>
> Here's my idea for a brother to the 'soft_glow' effect. Using a darken
> filter, with less gaussian (3 or 4 seem to be good values), you can get
> images like the ones I'm sending you. I don't know if this filter would be
> useful, but it looks interesting. It reminds me of this transluscent paper
> Mom used to draw on. She would make bookmarks and stuff like that.

>From the MegaPov docs:

"Negative values for amount cause a the result of the gaussian blur to be
combined with the original using 'darken' instead of 'lighten'.  Values less
than -1.0 will have very little (if any) effect on the image."

The filter does allow you to control the gaussian radius (although the
radius should be double the value used in PSP in order to get similar
results... I'm not sure why).

-Nathan