POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Ambient Settings? : Re: Ambient Settings? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 02:23:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ambient Settings?
From: Nieminen Juha
Date: 6 Feb 2000 06:48:00
Message: <389d5f70@news.povray.org>
Gilles Tran <tra### [at] inapginrafr> wrote:
: To be frank, this limitation would be logical it if this were, say, a newsgroup
: about rural farming in tropical countries where the users are likely to have
: limited computer  resources. But this NG is dedicated to computer graphics, and
: used by people who have up-to-date configurations, if only to run CG software and
: Internet connections able to download binaries.

  There's no need to use HTML in order to talk about computer graphics. You
can't post binaries to this group anyways, so what's the point in sengind the
text in HTML format? You get no benefit from it.
  The binaries groups are different. You are allowed to send binary attachments
there and thus HTML can be useful there. I don't mind at all if someone send
HTML to the binaries groups (I don't use this newsreader to read them).

: I've also noticed that the people
: who seem to have trouble with HTML postings are also rather advanced computer
: users, which doesn't make sense...

  The reason is that those advanced users are using sophisticated news readers
and not HTML browsers to read the news. It makes more trouble to use the
HTML browser than the powerful news reader software.
  I read the binary groups with Netscape's newsreader, and it's always a pain.
Netscape is huge and very slow in this machine, the download times are
irritatingly long (it MUST download all the images twice for some reason that
I don't know), etc.
  With the proper news reader software I can browse the non-binaries groups
efficiently and without problems.

  If you understand why an advanced user would use a command line shell a lot
more than graphical programs, you can understand why news reading is more
efficient with the proper software.
  It you don't, then I can't do anyting about it.

: What annoys me is not actually the ban on HTML posting itself (which I don't find
: very useful, though it could come handy sometimes), but the fact that new users
: here get flamed for this the first time they post, when sometimes they don't even
: know they're doing HTML posts because it's the default mode in popular
: newsreaders or email programs.

  I don't flame people, I just politely ask them the post articles in the
proper format. If I remember right, I have always used the word "please".