POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : blur : Re: blur Server Time
3 Oct 2024 07:09:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: blur
From: Mark Wagner
Date: 5 Feb 2000 00:51:17
Message: <389bba55@news.povray.org>
Richard wrote in message <389BD642.A1943B3A@mindspring.com>...
>That brings up a new question:  is this considered illegal post-processing
under
>IRTC rules?  It is all done within the renderer, and no external programs
are
>used, but would it be considered legal?

From the IRTC Stills FAQ:
[1.1.10] My renderer can do lens flare, motion blur, etc.--is that legal?
     Yes, generally. If it is something that the renderer does as part of
producing the image, and not something you run against the image file as a
separate process, then it is legal. The judges look very closely at such
effects, however, so use them with caution.
[1.1.11] Exactly what do you mean by "post-processing"?
     That means running any image-manipulation program on the image after it
is rendered. Paint programs, photo manipulation programs, and the like are
generally not allowed, except for a few explicit exceptions. We want the
image to be the output of a renderer, not a human or special-effects
program. One guideline that has been mentioned is that any process which
affects every pixel in the image is usually okay, but that's not a hard and
fast rule--it's just used to encompass gamma correction, resizing,
conversion to JPEG format, and so forth, all of which are legal. Another
guideline is, don't do anything to the image that you wouldn't be prepared
to do for every frame of a 30-minute animation.

Since the post-processing is done after the rendering, but it is done by the
renderer, it would appear that this issue is up to the IRTC Admins.

Mark