POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : DO NOT OPEN THIS POST!!!!! (125k solo) : Re: DO NOT OPEN THIS POST!!!!! (125k solo) Server Time
3 Oct 2024 15:14:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: DO NOT OPEN THIS POST!!!!! (125k solo)
From: David Fontaine
Date: 7 Feb 2000 23:41:54
Message: <389F9E42.F92FBB28@faricy.net>
Thomas Lake wrote:

> Well the fact the it mutates does make it harder to make a vaccine for AIDS.
> But the main reason is that what we normally consider a vaccine depends on
> you have a healthy immune system. Usually the inject a weakened strain  or
> dead viruses into your body. Then your immune system recognizes the virus
> and produces an immune reaction and antibodies. Next time you get the virus
> your body has the antibodies to recognize and fight it off. This is not
> possible for HIV because of its vary nature. It hides away from the immune
> system so you never develop immunity to it.

They cannot inject dead viruses, and viruses cannot hide, because viruses are
not alive ;-)

> I believe current vaccine work
> is being done on trying to block the proteins the virus uses to enter a
> humans cells. This is quite different from a normal vaccine.

Yes, that is what's being done now.
As for the RNA being the reason why they can't make a normal vaccine; my biology
teacher told me that so it could easily be wrong.

--
 | \     |_                 <dav### [at] faricynet> <ICQ 55354965>
 |_/avid |ontaine               http://www.faricy.net/~davidf/

"Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come" -Beatles