POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : ini_option : Re: ini_option Server Time
2 Sep 2024 16:17:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ini_option
From: Ken
Date: 7 Feb 2000 15:20:56
Message: <389F2908.CE8E89AE@pacbell.net>
Nathan Kopp wrote:

> For setting the general size of the image (as opposed to aspect ratio),
> I've always used the GUI.

I have always used the same method for both image size and anti-aliasing
and I am comfortable with it. Quickres.ini serves it's purpose well in
this regard.

> * encapsulating the majority of a POV project within a single file:  I know,
> ini_option doesn't even come close to succeeding at this.  But it is a step
> in that direction.  Of course, whether or not that is a step in the RIGHT
> direction is another question.  Comments?
>
> Therefore, once those items are addressed in other ways (and most of them
> have already been discussed by the POV-Team), then ini_option will no longer
> be necessary.  That is the reason I said it may not always remain.  It will
> remain in MegaPov until it is no longer needed.
>
> -Nathan

The four areas that I would value this feature for are (in no particular
order of importance) -

1.) image output format i.e. tga, png, ...

2.) radiosity on/off - options

3.) animation options - clock, Initial_Frame, Final_Frame, Cyclic_Animation...

4.) automatic bounding on/off

  Any other ini options that are available I use so seldom I can live
with adding them to an ini file when needed. The options listed above
however I use frequently enough that it would be nice to have them
available within the scene file I am working on.
  Then again from a Windows only perspective if all of these options
were added as part of the GUI ( a drop down menu ) they too could be
eliminated having no reason for them at all. The only people that
lose in this scenario are those platforms where it might be impossible
to add them because there is no GUI available.