POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Newsgroup readers. : Re: Newsgroup readers. Server Time
3 Oct 2024 07:11:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Newsgroup readers.
From: Matt Giwer
Date: 7 Feb 2000 05:09:49
Message: <389E9A26.CD0EA1E6@ij.net>
Thomas Lake wrote:

> No I didn't mean I wanted to run multiple copies of it. What I meant was that I
> would like to be able to add the same newsgroup server to the program twice.

    Were I writing such software, I have no idea how I would distinguish the two as
they are the same unless that were a specific option upon adding. And I do not see
why any rational programmer would want to do that.

    A newserver has a unique internet ID. I would have to alias all IDs to have
multiple instances of any one. (Not really but not doing so would make it even
harder.)

    I can go fuirther but bottom line is, I can't see why anyone would write a
reader doing what you want.

    Which does not mean it is a bad idea. Just what benefits do you see from this?

> like to have 2 copies of the server one I keep all of my permanent newsgroup
> subscriptions on. I use the other one when I want to just quickly look at a
> newsgroup. I find it makes it easier to just brows through a newsgroup and see
> weather I want to make it a permanent subscription. Strange I know.

    AHHH!! (Maybe?)

    You mean that Netscape does not have a "mark unread" function or an option not
to mark read at all while browsing and also while not marking read automatically to
mark specific messages as read while browsing.

    Free Agent has all such  functions.

    Does that address your needs?

    All those are in free agent vice agent for $US29 or some such. Free agent is
almost embarrassware it gives you nearly everything for nothing.