POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : ini_option : Re: ini_option Server Time
2 Sep 2024 10:18:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ini_option
From: Francois Dispot
Date: 6 Feb 2000 17:04:06
Message: <389DEFD4.9D9337B4@club-internet.fr>
Nieminen Juha wrote:

> ingo <ing### [at] homenl> wrote:
> : "Note:  The ini_option will probably be discontinued in the future."
>
> : Why is this?
>
>   I don't know the reason, but I can imagine a couple of them:
>
>   - Security.
>   - The type of rendering (size, antialiasing, etc) should specified outside
> the scene, not inside.
>   Just imagine the annoyance of a scene with "-w1280 -h1024 +a0.0 +qr" when
> you just want to render a quick preview of it. You would have to edit the
> scene by hand before being able to do it. It would also make trouble to a
> possible software which automatically renders a set of scenes with certain
> settings (for thumbnails, for example).

The latter seams to me more a question of relative priorities between
command line, ini file and scene file. The thumbnails question is not
relevant in this case.

OTOH being able to determine the size of a picture at render time can be
useful for special applications like automatic rendering of ttf fonts
samples.

Just my $0.02.

--