POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Simulated Surface Scanning : Simulated Surface Scanning Server Time
2 Sep 2024 10:15:36 EDT (-0400)
  Simulated Surface Scanning
From: Charles Fusner
Date: 5 Feb 2000 21:52:58
Message: <389CDD17.B80D241E@enter.net>
Okay, I've been lazy, but gradually I've gotten around to writing
up my idea for simulated surface scanning with trace(). I've only
just started the experiments, but in the meantime, I've written a
comprehensive description of the experiments that I wanted to post
for the sake of getting comments from anyone who might understand
this topic better than I do.

My point in putting this all online was simply to get constructive
comments and caveats. I'm kind of hoping for something more
constructive than "you're insane, that's never going to work!"
but I may have to make due if that's all you can give me <bg>.

For anyone who might be interested in the potential of this
technique, a complete write up of the experiments I'll be
attempting in the next couple (few) weeks can be found at...

http://www.enter.net/~cfusner/triscanRFC.html

Whether it works, fails, or something in between, I'll also
post a synopsis of what I get from these experiments in the hopes
that even if it doesn't work for me, someone with more background
in 3D might be able to do something with the results.

Charles