POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : MegaPOV 0.4 Blinn Highlights? <2 jpg's - 39k> : Re: Blinn Highlights Part Two <32k jpg> Server Time
3 Oct 2024 15:13:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blinn Highlights Part Two <32k jpg>
From: Eric Freeman
Date: 3 Feb 2000 12:56:33
Message: <3899c151@news.povray.org>
"Bob Hughes" <omn### [at] hotmailcom?subject=PoV-News:> wrote in message

> It takes some scrutinizing, I can see the slight
> differences,

Slight differences can make a picture.  Often small area lights, a slight
focal blur and a little light fading can make an average picture
outstanding.

> although I haven't even tried this myself yet and
> so don't know if the float values would be the
> same or not.

I didn't use the same values... I just tried to get the two textures to have
similar highlight properties.  For example, the original F_MetalC, D and E
have the same amount of specular (0.80) but my blinn versions have 2.0, 1.9
and 2.1.

> I guess if there were a "difference" it is the
> highlight diffusion being sometimes more,
> sometimes less, depending on the angle of
> light source to the object surfaces.

It also seems like the highlight is grayer and reflects less (but that could
be changes in the "reflection" property, which has been changed in Mega
0.4).  I'll be doing some more experimenting, making textures that don't use
reflection.

Eric
http://www.datasync.com/~ericfree
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."
--Bertrand Russel