POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : MegaPOV 0.4 Blinn Highlights? <2 jpg's - 39k> : Blinn Highlights Part One <2 jpg's - 63k> Server Time
3 Oct 2024 09:26:22 EDT (-0400)
  Blinn Highlights Part One <2 jpg's - 63k>
From: Eric Freeman
Date: 2 Feb 2000 18:31:27
Message: <3898be4f@news.povray.org>
"Bob Hughes" <omn### [at] hotmailcom?subject=PoV-News:> wrote in message

> This doesn't look good for the 'blinn' model of
> highlighting.  At least in that previous textures
> will suffer greatly in the conversion.  I like the
> old style you show here, the new style is all
> specular and no texture.

Don't give up hope.  After more experimentation (and a six pack of Bud), I
think I'm beginning to see the differences between the specular and the
Blinn methods.  Attached are two images of two metal textures, the only
difference being Blinn highlighting and adding the "reflect_metallic"
statement to the textures.  Note that the two images look very similar.  It
seems that the pigment and the angle have a lot to do with the way it looks.
These two textures also appear in Part Two and look very different.  I'm
still experimenting with Blinn and hope to have Blinn versions of
"metals.inc" and "golds.inc" soon.

Eric
--------------------
http://www.datasync.com/~ericfree
--------------------
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."
--Bertrand Russel

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'mega_metal_test1.jpg' (37 KB) Download 'mega_metal_test2.jpg' (25 KB)

Preview of image 'mega_metal_test1.jpg'
mega_metal_test1.jpg

Preview of image 'mega_metal_test2.jpg'
mega_metal_test2.jpg