POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : MegaPOV 0.4 Blinn Highlights? : Re: MegaPOV 0.4 Blinn Highlights? Server Time
2 Sep 2024 12:13:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: MegaPOV 0.4 Blinn Highlights?
From: Eric Freeman
Date: 2 Feb 2000 10:02:07
Message: <389846ef@news.povray.org>
"Nathan Kopp" <Nat### [at] Koppcom> wrote in message

> Eric Freeman <eri### [at] datasynccom> wrote...
> > 2) Should I take out the "specular" and "roughness" statements, or leave
> > them in (modified?)?  Again, tweaking could probably produce decent
> results.
>
> You should take out specular if you want to use blinn.
>
> > III) Should I take out the "metallic" when I put in "reflect_metallic"?
> > I've tried it both ways and can get decent results with enough tweaking.
>
> You should use both metallic and reflect_metallic.  metallic affects the
> color of the highlight, while reflect_metallic affects the color of
> reflected rays.
>
> -Nathan

Thanks.  After playing around with different values, I'm beginning to see
some differences between the two.  If I get the copper metal looking the
same for the old and new methods, then switch just the pigment to silver or
brass, the old and new method no longer look the same.  I guess I'll just
make five finishes going from dull to shiney.

Eric
http://www.datasync.com/~ericfree
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."
--Bertrand Russel