POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : REQ: Self-orienting disc primitive : Re: Self-orienting disc primitive Server Time
2 Sep 2024 12:19:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Self-orienting disc primitive
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 2 Feb 2000 07:55:59
Message: <3898295f@news.povray.org>
Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote...

> Bob Hughes wrote:
> >
> > Nice idea, 'orient' keyword for all objects might be interesting.
>
> There is an orient keyword - it's called rotate.

I think he wants it to rotate for each ray that is intersected (like orient
area lights).  That way, shadows from a flat object would not look so flat.
To billboard correctly, you'd have to be able to specify an axis of rotation
(you wouldn't want your trees to fully orient, but only orient about the Y
(up) axis).

-Nathan