POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : MegaPOV 0.4 Blinn Highlights? : MegaPOV 0.4 Blinn Highlights? Server Time
2 Sep 2024 12:16:20 EDT (-0400)
  MegaPOV 0.4 Blinn Highlights?
From: Eric Freeman
Date: 2 Feb 2000 00:33:03
Message: <3897c18f@news.povray.org>
Hey all,

I've been thinking about making a mega_metals.inc based on official POV's
metals.inc to include Blinn highlights and reflect_metallic.  A few
questions:

A) Is there an easy way to calculate the amounts of "blinn" and "facets"
based on the old "specular" and "roughness" values?  I've changed F_MetalA
and been tweaking the numbers for about a half hour and would like to avoid
having to use trial and error for the other 4 finishes.

2) Should I take out the "specular" and "roughness" statements, or leave
them in (modified?)?  Again, tweaking could probably produce decent results.

III) Should I take out the "metallic" when I put in "reflect_metallic"?
I've tried it both ways and can get decent results with enough tweaking.

See picture in binaries.images (same subject) for a sample picture.

Any hints, suggestions, flames or insults would be appreciated.

Eric
http://www.datasync.com/~ericfree
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."
--Bertrand Russel