POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Ambient Settings? : Re: Ambient Settings? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 18:19:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ambient Settings?
From: Margus Ramst
Date: 1 Feb 2000 15:39:09
Message: <38974523.45FB68D3@peak.edu.ee>
I'm not sure I understand what you want to achieve.
When you exclude specular highlights, reflections, transparency etc. the colour
of the surface can be calculated with the following formula:

(pigment * diffuse * light_colour + ambient)

The ambient value (rgb <0.1,0.1,0.1> by default) is simply added to whatever the
apparent colour of the object is at a given point (i.e. it just brightens the
object by a constant amount).
The value 'diffuse' you specify in the finish statement is the maximum value.
The actual value used for a particular point falls off from the maximum (where
surface points straight towards the light_source) to zero (where surface points
away from the light_source).

So the apparent colour of a surface varies greatly depending on how much light
it receives. When it receives less light, a higher ambient value is needed to
balance the lower diffuse lighting. Diffuse varies over the surface. Ambient
does not. There is no universal formula.

Margus