POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Ambient Settings? : Ambient Settings? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 18:17:54 EDT (-0400)
  Ambient Settings?
From: Leroy Whetstone
Date: 1 Feb 2000 12:47:04
Message: <38973716.7C4859F2@janics.com>
<HTML>
I've been playing with the ambient settings.
<BR>I'm looking for a function that can be used to keep an object's color
roughly the same when you add ambient.
<BR> What I did was place 2 boxes side by side one with ambient set
the other not and adjusted the color of the ambient box until it match
the color in the plain box.They where lit by a spotlight pointed at their
midpoint.
<BR> What I found was that with plain box set to rgb<0,0,1> the
ambient values and color where:
<BR>
pigment           ambient
<BR>
rgb< 0,0,1.17 >      0
<BR>
rgb< 0,0,.633 >      .5
<BR>
rgb< 0,0,.433 >      1
<BR>This is just a sample I tested every tenth point from 0 to 1.
<BR>From the data I have there is no linear function that works.
<BR>From the help file it says that ambient adds a small amount of white
light but that is as far as it goes.
<BR>If someone knows of a function that can do what I want then THANKS!
<BR>If not then I'll just have to do the math and come up with one that
I'll post here.
<BR>
<BR> </HTML>