POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.animations : Voting's coming to a close. : Re: Voting's coming to a close. Server Time
27 Jul 2024 16:26:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Voting's coming to a close.
From: John VanSickle
Date: 31 Jan 2000 21:38:23
Message: <38964922.99C5B0A6@erols.com>
Ken wrote:

> "Greg M. Johnson" wrote:
> >
> > <haven't seen results yet>

> > JvS's animation was a great story, looking perfectly realistic, (and
> > I ranked it #2 in my scoring), but it too was a re-creation of
> > material on his hard drive to a large extent.

Except for three of the four robots, and the chess set, everything in
the Robot entry was created since the announcement of the topic.  That
includes the animation within the animation; I know it looks a lot like
others, but it was intentionally made to look unimaginative.

> As long as the outcome of your efforts is unique from entry to entry
> you really have no unfair advantage - given that you comply with the
> the rule that it is created within the contests time period.

I'd like to add that of the six Rusty animations to date, all but two
have included a character model that wasn't in a prior Rusty animation.
If I were to count Rosie as a new model (even though she is only a
re-textured Rusty), and discount the Greb's first appearance (because in
RaBBA they existed only from the shoulders up), then all of the Rusty
animations have featured new characters.

I have never made a secret of my intention to enter Rusty animations
no matter how far I have to stretch the topic.  There is one possible
topic for which I will not be doing a Rusty animation (and even then
he'll appear in the same way as Superman appears in every episode of
Seinfeld), but I won't say what it is because (a) I don't want to affect
the topic selection and (b) I dislike announcing the intention to do
something and then finding myself unable to follow through.  In the
spirit of the IRTC competition I am not doing any modelling for that
idea until I've either given up on doing it for the IRTC, or a topic
that matches the idea is announced.

> John would be terribly put out if he had to abandon his Rusty
> character because had used it in a previous round. That fact that he
> can come up with original animations using some of the same material
> says a lot about his creativity.

Thanks.

Coming up with the idea for this round was actually harder this time
than before, because there were so many possibilities to choose from.
When the topic doesn't lend itself easily to robots, it usually limits
the possibilities to just a handful of ideas.

--
ICQ: 46085459