POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.animations : Voting's coming to a close. : Re: Voting's coming to a close. Server Time
27 Jul 2024 08:07:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Voting's coming to a close.
From: Ken
Date: 31 Jan 2000 11:07:23
Message: <3895B2CF.F2453E93@pacbell.net>
"Greg M. Johnson" wrote:

> <haven't seen results yet>
>
> My first thoughts upon seeing the list of entries was, "Oh, what joy at the
> quality of original work--the perfect topic." I was literally choked up ;).
> But then as I waded through the list, there appeared to be too many which
> screamed as having been regurgitated old material. I wonder if we came down
> too hard on that Stills image penalized for being pre-existing when that's
> really what the majority of us are doing. . .     JvS's animation was a great
> story, looking perfectly realistic, (and I ranked it #2 in my scoring), but it
> too was a re-creation of material on his hard drive to a large extent.  I too,
> made modifications to two pre-existing characters to make 2 humans and a
> robot, and threw a sloppy set around it . . .

 I think there is definite difference between entering an image that
you created a year ago and regurgitating older material into something
new. Is it cheating to use a chrome texture from metals.inc in each
of your entries ? What is the difference ?

As long as the outcome of your efforts is unique from entry to entry
you really have no unfair advantage - given that you comply with the
the rule that it is created within the contests time period.

John would be terribly put out if he had to abandon his Rusty character
because had used it in a previous round. That fact that he can come
up with original animations using some of the same material says a lot
about his creativity.