POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.animations : Voting's coming to a close. : Re: Voting's coming to a close. Server Time
27 Jul 2024 08:03:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Voting's coming to a close.
From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 31 Jan 2000 10:57:30
Message: <3895B013.CBE0D38@my-dejanews.com>
<haven't seen results yet>

My first thoughts upon seeing the list of entries was, "Oh, what joy at the
quality of original work--the perfect topic." I was literally choked up ;).
But then as I waded through the list, there appeared to be too many which
screamed as having been regurgitated old material. I wonder if we came down
too hard on that Stills image penalized for being pre-existing when that's
really what the majority of us are doing. . .     JvS's animation was a great
story, looking perfectly realistic, (and I ranked it #2 in my scoring), but it
too was a re-creation of material on his hard drive to a large extent.  I too,
made modifications to two pre-existing characters to make 2 humans and a
robot, and threw a sloppy set around it . . .

I once made a comment in half-jest that we should have eclectic topics like
"JFK."  Someone complained that it would be too hard for many people to do.
In retrospect, the benefit is that it would be too hard to take pre-existing
material and pass it off as being applicable to a topic like "JFK".  Every
entry probably would have to be done from scratch to make it even relevant.
Wouldn't that be a great contest, where every JFK face was something the
person had to complete in the past two months?

Hash has a contest with better topics: I think one was "Partners in Crime."