POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Escher POV museum (78kbbu) : Re: Escher POV museum (78kbbu) Server Time
3 Oct 2024 19:19:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Escher POV museum (78kbbu)
From: David Fontaine
Date: 28 Jan 2000 14:25:03
Message: <3891EA39.29C3E4D0@faricy.net>
> Hi David,
> I hope you are having a good morning.

Why thank you :-)

>                   PW_Lecture_101
>
>     Hello, all. Before I begin I would hope that you
> completed yesterdays assignment. I cannot stress enough
> the importance of *really* bad Lee Majors pseudo-science
> fiction movies on your local late show.
>
> _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/
>
> David raises a good point with his reference to "that
> old religious art."  My humble suggestion would be to
> remove the word 'religious'. If, for instance, 500
> years from now a 'human' was looking at a Fontaine
> image and said "that old computer art" I (<ahem> my
> clone) would surely take objection.

> What does this leave us with?
> "...that old art."
> Let us narrow the discussion.
> "old"
> "It always shows people and
> everything as flat and everything is flat..."
> Narrow it even more.
> "It always shows people..."
>
> Forgiving my flawed logic...
>
> Here it would be necessary to imagine a time before
> the invention of photography where a recent/decent
> painting (say one of Da Vince's obtuse works or one
> of those Raphael's, as if he actually painted one, being
> too busy...) was looked on as *almost* a
> miracle.
> Or image a time, only 50 or so years previous (1450)
> that lifesize frescos were painted by Masters such
> as Masaccio, or even that dolt Giotto.
> Then you would have to imagine a time, earlier, where
> humans actually believed in the 'truth' of images.
> This, however, goes beyond the scope of this lecture.
>
> As to "flat" I must admit to being clueless about this.
> "Drab", ...not looking at the recently (and controversial)
> restored Michelangelos.

But you keep referring to the Reniassance artists. You are also
referring to the most famous artists. So what about the common
pre-Reniassance artist? I think more recent art has much more individual
style; people have developed their own unique forms of art. Besides, the
fact that I find some art monotonous is an entirely opinionated matter
and there's no use arguing about it :-)

> Personal to David: Have they finished renovating that
> park across the freeway from the Walker Art Center?
> Man, all that construction when I visited really
> harshed my mellow. A great city, nonetheless,
> for sure.

*shrugs* haven't been by there lately, actually. i should probably go
have a look. you know, they completely redid the Science Museum, i
should check that out too.

--
Homepage: http://www.faricy.net/~davidf/
 | \     |_       <dav### [at] faricynet>