POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Escher POV museum (78kbbu) : Re: Escher POV museum (78kbbu) Server Time
3 Oct 2024 19:18:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Escher POV museum (78kbbu)
From: Peter Warren
Date: 28 Jan 2000 08:25:21
Message: <389198c1@news.povray.org>
Hi David,
I hope you are having a good morning.

                  PW_Lecture_101

    Hello, all. Before I begin I would hope that you
completed yesterdays assignment. I cannot stress enough
the importance of *really* bad Lee Majors pseudo-science
fiction movies on your local late show.

_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/

David raises a good point with his reference to "that
old religious art."  My humble suggestion would be to
remove the word 'religious'. If, for instance, 500
years from now a 'human' was looking at a Fontaine
image and said "that old computer art" I (<ahem> my
clone) would surely take objection.

What does this leave us with?
"...that old art."
Let us narrow the discussion.
"old"
"It always shows people and
everything as flat and everything is flat..."
Narrow it even more.
"It always shows people..."

Forgiving my flawed logic...

Here it would be necessary to imagine a time before
the invention of photography where a recent/decent
painting (say one of Da Vince's obtuse works or one
of those Raphael's, as if he actually painted one, being
too busy...) was looked on as *almost* a
miracle.
Or image a time, only 50 or so years previous (1450)
that lifesize frescos were painted by Masters such
as Masaccio, or even that dolt Giotto.
Then you would have to imagine a time, earlier, where
humans actually believed in the 'truth' of images.
This, however, goes beyond the scope of this lecture.

As to "flat" I must admit to being clueless about this.
"Drab", ...not looking at the recently (and controversial)
restored Michelangelos.

Thank you all for attending today.

Peter Warren

Personal to David: Have they finished renovating that
park across the freeway from the Walker Art Center?
Man, all that construction when I visited really
harshed my mellow. A great city, nonetheless,
for sure.