POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Eroded hills - work in progress [68k] : Re: Eroded hills - work in progress [68k] Server Time
3 Oct 2024 17:15:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Eroded hills - work in progress [68k]
From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 27 Jan 2000 13:13:57
Message: <38908A0E.7615F091@my-dejanews.com>
I'm really bored with pixelated image map heightfields, just the same way I'm
quite bored with paint programs as a tool for making artwork.

The cool thing about raytracing is that one can always go back and make a
better, bigger image by re-rendering at a higher resolution.  If one makes a
breathtaking masterpiece at 600 x 800 with a paint program, and someone
offers you a million dollars to make it into billboards, you're sunk.   If
that million is for a blowup of my IRTC entry, I can literally do this in my
sleep!

This is just a long-winded way of saying I'm more fascinated with
procedurally-derived concepts, and that I was hoping you had come up with
some kind of algorithm for weathering.

Wonderful work, nonetheless . . .